PADRES: Java Web Start
PADRES Web Start lets you to create PADRES components
(broker/client/monitor) without you manually handling the PADRES binary
or source code. You configure the required PADRES components and
instantiate them in your computer through the web-interfaces provided
below. The only thing you need for this is a fairly recent Java JRE.
PADRES Web Start is platform independent.
Note: All the PADRES components are instantiated in the local
machine from where you are accessing this web page. The code used for the web start is only up-to-date to summer 2010. It does not contain the latest release.
PADRES Web Start Components
You can create multiples of the same
type of PADRES component using the setup interfaces given below. When
you run these components, they will be invoked in the local machine.
Still, you can configure them to connect to other components running on
- Broker names should be unique and can not include spaces or the
dash ('-') character.
- If a broker name is repeated, the last setup will overwrite the
- Each broker must have its own port; make sure the port is not used
by any other application.
- Neighborhood relationship between two brokers can be specified in
only one Broker configuration.
- Running a broker will produce no
visible output. You have to check your process table to check whether
the broker is running. Also you have to use the process table to
terminate a running broker.
- Client names should be unique and can not include spaces.
- If a client name is repeated, the last setup will overwrite the
- Client names are just for the web start setup; you will not see the
client names in the PADRES overlay (if one is generated later.)
- Client can connect to a broker in a remote machine. In order to
connect to a broker in the local machine, use localhost
for Broker IP.
Creating a PADRES Overlay with Web-Start
- Decide on your PADRES overlay configuration
- Number of brokers
- The ports on which they are going to run
- Number of clients
- Who is connected to whom
- Use the Broker Configuration form to create web start files (JNLP
files) for your brokers.
- Use the Client Configuration form to create web start files (JNLP
files) for your clients.
- Click on the "Run" links to start the overlay components. Start the
brokers first before the clients.
- Brokers are started in the background so that you will see no
output when you run them. Every client will provide you with a GUI for
you to interact with it.
- If everything started correctly, client GUIs should inform you
that connections to the brokers are successful.
- You can also (optionally) start the PADRES Monitor to observe the
- Use "Connect to federation" in the menu, and connect to one of the
brokers. You can confirm that the overlay is correctly created by
observing the Monitor display.
Use can verify the operation of the PADRES overlay you created by
performing some publish/subscribe operations:
- In one of the Client GUI interfaces, advertise. This is done by
issueing the command:
- In one or multiple Client interfaces, subscribe. This is done by
issueing the command:
- Lastly, in the interface that you advertised from, publish. This is
done by issueing the command:
You should now see in the clients from where you subscribed
earlier that you have received a publication.